POSTS

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Spelt Banana Sourdough Pancakes with Maple Butter and Cherry Vinegar Strawberry Compote


My sourdough starter is about 15 months old now. 
When I get the chance I like to make some sourdough pancakes, or waffles. 
This version was so delicious I had to share it.


It was a yeasted batter in that I included dry yeast as well as sourdough starter, along with spelt flour, salt, milk, mashed banana, egg and butter.


Its given a good mix then left to sit for 2-3 hours.


Meanwhile I mixed maple syrup and softened butter together, then put them in silicon moulds in the fridge. 



The strawberry compote was made with strawberries, sugar (I used organic coconut sugar), water, pepper and delicious Kangaroobie Cherry Vinegar.



Once the batter has puffed up, spoon into a medium heat buttered pan. 
Once they start to look 'dry' around the edges flip them.




I absolutely loved them. 
So much flavour in the slightly sweet banana pancake, with delicious melting maple butter and the most amazing strawberry concoction on top.




Spelt Banana Sourdough Pancakes

1 cup whole spelt flour
1 cup milk 
1/2 cup sourdough starter
1 tsp dry yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1 mashed banana
1 egg
1tbsp melted butter

Whisk all ingredients in the mixture together.
Leave covered for 2-3 hours until its risen in size.
Spoon into medium heat pan with a little butter, it will start to look dry around the edges after a couple of minutes, 
flip and cook for another minute.
Serve with maple butter (1 part maple syrup mixed with 2 parts softened butter, set in fridge) and strawberry compote.


5 comments:

  1. I love your work with sourdough Muppy...although I have had a decent dinner I could eat a big plate of your pancakes right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made a sourdough Muppy. I'm a bit scared.
    Your pancakes look heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fancy breakfast! And fancy dish name, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I've seen sourdough pancakes on restaurant menus but never made them myself. Great idea! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I bet these tasted incredible! And I love that you put the butter in silicone moulds too :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to comment