POSTS

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Jaffna Goat Curry - My Sri Lanka


This recipe of Peter Kurivita's for Jaffna Goat Curry was another from his show on SBS My Sri Lanka.


I have eaten goat but never attempted to cook it before. And since I loved other recipes from My Sri Lanka (pork curry, cashew nut curry and prawns with black pepper sauce) I knew I had to try it.


Fortunately I live in an area in Sydney where Sri Lankan ingredients are easily come by, and that includes goat! In fact goat brains, tripe, liver.....


The spices are prepared and mixed with the meat along with tomato paste and coconut milk.


Then the aromats. I tried this technique Peter shared of making garlic paste with salt. He made it look very easy and although I was pleased with the result it was nothing on Peter's effort!


The garlic, ginger, onion, green chilli, pandan, curry leaves and lemon grass are all fried initially in some oil until the onion is translucent and the aroma incredible.


Then in goes the meat and its sauce along with water.


Now this is where my problems started. The recipe says to cook for 30 minutes or until gravy thickens and meat tender. Well the gravy thickened beautifully and I tested a piece of meat, it seemed quite tender. But when we served it most of the meat was quite tough. 
I am assuming that the cut of meat I used was not right. Anyway I tried using the same cut again 'goat curry on bone' and it took two hours to become tender adding extra water at intervals.


But the sauce was incredible. Oh my goodness it tasted like a real curry!


Served with some string hoppers made at our local Sri Lankan takeaway, it was amazing.
The goat flavour wise was fantastic, suited the sauce perfectly, but mastering the cooking time is an issue.
Next time I'll probably just use lamb!

28 comments:

  1. I am so very impressed! I have eaten goat before - but never cooked with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never eaten goat before and I don't think I've seen it available at the butcher's around where I live. I'm imagining this recipe would work just as well with lamb? The flavours in this must have been amazing. I love the combination of all those spices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the exotic dishes you cook Muppy! That sauce looks mouth watering :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! Love goat meat and I love the flavors in this curry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving a lovely comment.

    Wow, I have never tried Goat before but this dish looks mouthwateringly good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never tried goat! Definitely need to try it. Sauce does look incredible. I only got to see some of his show. So lovely seeing celeb chefs cooking in their home countries. It's always so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never eaten goat before, sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have loved to be in the kitchen whist that was happening! The aromas would have been amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks great. I think you do need to cook for quite a while and two hours seems about right :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. argh im craving for curry after this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goat meat especially from a younger animal tends to be more tender and less flavor intense at least here in Greece! So I guess this dish must have tasted beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks and sounds delicious! Curry is one of my very favourite food!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never eaten goat before! How interesting to learn about food specific to Sri Lanka. I would love to know more about the details of each country's spefic foods. I'll have to look around in Houston to see if there is a Sri Lanken restaurant. I am craving lamb lately as my thoughts turn to an Easter menu.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! The way you wrote about how you cook this curry make me feel like this curry is quite easy to cook.

    I like Peter Kurivita too and like watching his show.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks fabulous! I've had goat but never stringhoppers :P What a fun meal!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Muppy, I'm so impressed by this dish and you're ability to see something on TV, in a book or blog and just whip it up. You make it look so tasty, and so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry "your ability" not "you're ability". Bah!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds yummy and exotic!Kisses,dear!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hmm never tried goat before, is it much like beef?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its more similar to lamb but the flavour is quite unique. It works well with the strong flavours in a curry. I have not eaten it many times.

      Delete
  20. Your curry looks delicious and well done at having a go at cooking goat.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What did you use to cook it in? I thought it was a tangine, Phil says something else.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know that Marrickville Metro sells goat, but I am always to daunted to try it. Might have to.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love goat! I used it a while back and really liked it. Dads actually got some in the freezer that I have been meaning to use. What a perfect recipe for it :) thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks a great curry will be trying it soon.
    Dave theperfectcurry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to comment